Monday, September 12, 2011

Reflections

I must apologize for my absence! On this side of the screen, life has been quite a whirlwind the past couple of weeks.

When I arrived back in the U.S., there were so many people to see, hug, update, and most of all, THANK! It's been over a month since the swim and the capacity of such an incredible adventure is still sinking in. I'm scrambling to finish writing thank you letters to the many, many, people who believed in me and our cause, and donated to our research fund. If you would like to donate to our cancer research fund at the Holden Comprehensive Cancer Center, it's not too late! The fund is currently at around $14,000, but we would like that number to be closer to our goal of $25,000. All you have to do is go here to make your tax-deductible donation. Don't forget to make it in honor of a loved one who has fought cancer!

The day after my arrival in Iowa, my mother told my brother Mike and I to meet in my hometown for a "family get-together" at 6pm on Thursday, August 25th. The day before, someone had posted on my facebook wall, "I'm so sorry I cannot make it to  your big celebration, Cheyanne!" WHAT?! What big celebration? Little did I know what awaited me in my wonderful hometown.

On the final stretch leading into town, there were two cop cars on the side of the highway. My brother suddenly slowed down. "Are we in trouble?" I asked. Then, a grin crept across my brother's face. Then, the cop cars with their sirens blaring, surrounded his car and accompanied us into town down mainstreet. As we came into town, two fire trucks on either side of the road were shooting an arch of water over the road for us to drive through. I could not believe what I was seeing! I was so humbled by the surprise welcome my hometown had arranged for me. I couldn't stop yelling, "Oh my gosh! Oh my gosh! Oh my gosh!" My fiance was in the back seat filming the whole thing-I hesitate to watch it for how ridiculous I probably sounded!

My brother Jacob caught this shot.

As we came into town, friends and family were gathered along the street and waving as we passed. Tears were welling up and all I could think about was how good it was to be home. 

We pulled up outside of my mom's cafe and art gallery and many people were waiting for me. My face hurt from smiling for such a long time. Many tears of joy and celebration were shed, and many hugs were exchanged. One of the most moving things about the evening was seeing many of my teachers from elementary through high school there. Nothing gave me more joy than making these incredible people proud. And here is why.....

The courage to swim the Channel and many of the skills it took to complete the swim began in middle school. You see, I was "the fat girl" that many of the skinny girls and the school bully picked on. I was teased terribly, and I will never forget every single moment when I was called, "Fat cow", my clothes were hidden from me before and after gym class, and one day, a bully even shoved me down the stairs. During the first two years of band, one kid even duct-taped my trumpet case shut a few times so that I was late to band rehearsal. Did he get in trouble? Nope. I was the one who received the tardy slips. When I look at pictures from those days, I cannot believe how fat I felt, because looking at the pictures, I really looked just like everyone else. I wasn't really that fat at all, just very tall. 

Although those bullies made me lose confidence in my appearance, they fueled me to be the best I could be in everything I possibly could. During my 6th grade year, the bullies were the worst they had ever been to me. My school principle at the time, took me out of school for one hour, and took me to a store to buy a journal. "I want you to journal in this, Cheyanne. You cannot let those bullies control your life. And here's why. The reason they bully you, Cheyanne, is because they have no control over their own lives, and because they know they don't have what it takes to go anywhere. They're lazy, so they take out that frustration on you. Use their negativity to fuel making your life the best it can possibly be."
Everything she told me that day still sticks with me. Can you imagine how much good could come of this world if our jealousy of others drove us to build each other up instead of breaking them down to make us feel better?
Many of the teachers that were always there for me during those tough times,  encouraging me to stay true to myself and helping me to become the best I could be in school and in all of my sports and in music, were there to support me that night. Being able to accomplish something so large for a cause that meant so much to me and having the ability to say, "You played a role in the person I am today", gave me so much joy! I only hope that my future children are able to have incredible teachers and staff like I had.

If I had let those awful people get me down in high school, I would have wallowed in grief and would not have done anything positive with my life. I would have hidden in the shadows and I would not have even bothered going out for sports. I probably never would have fallen in love with swimming, a sport that makes you even more built and "husky" than most other women. 

In order to swim the Channel, I needed to put on 20 additional pounds of body fat to protect me from the cold water. Today I am able to say, "Yes, I'm a fat girl. And you know what? I don't care. And this time around, I don't hear anyone laughing:-)

While thanking everyone who had supported me during this exciting adventure, I could not stop thinking about all of the people who have inspired me to do this. The revelations I've had while completing this task have been so profound and have made me realize more and more that when we do a good deed for someone, it is never a one-way transaction of goodwill. The goodness goes both ways and I have been changed for the better as well. There is no way I could have done this swim without the generosity and support of so many people: Those who've fought cancer and their loved ones who shared their inspirational stories, those who've donated, family and friends who've loved and supported me my entire life, my incredibly supportive hometown, and especially those teachers and staff who taught me that being the best version of myself was what was most important during my lifetime. 

As my life returns to normal and things settle down, I find myself missing the turbulent waters of the Channel and the calming green-marine colored water that enveloped me for fifteen and a half hours. Although it was perhaps the hardest thing I have ever done, I truly feel like I rediscovered myself while I was out there. I really do not think I could have swam the Channel just to go and do it. I needed the spark to guide me and help me through all of the preparations it took to get me there.

I'll close this update with a huge thank you to the "spark" that ignited it all. And that is my Grandpa Noller. Yesterday, September 11th, was his birthday. Although he is no longer with us, his legacy lives on in me and in Crossing for a Cure. The fight he endured for 10 years has taught me how to be a fighter in every aspect of my life and to never take my life or my health for granted. Grandpa and all other cancer patients have this very thing in common and that spark is what kept me going every single stroke of this journey. So Grandpa, I hope you and God had a fun time watching me swim across the Channel. When the night was darkest, thank you for bringing the stars out-it was a beautiful site to see. I miss you.

Cheyanne

No comments:

Post a Comment