Friday, March 10, 2017

Renewal

It's 2017 and I haven't written in this blog since 2012-nearly 6 years ago! With a New Years resolution to write more, I thought I'd dust this thing off and reconnect with all of you. I hope this post finds you all well and having a great start to 2017!

This blog wasn't just a way to keep all of you amazing supporters updated on my campaign, but is also a way for me to chronicle my journey of fighting cancer. Since the swim, I haven't stopped and have found other ways to keep up the fight.

Sadly, since then, three more family members have been diagnosed with cancer. I'm so sorry to say that one fought so hard but lost her battle, one was re-diagnosed and went into remission, and one is currently fighting. Outside of my family, I am constantly hearing of more people; from children to elderly, being diagnosed. Many of them were considered "perfectly healthy".

What the heck is going on? It really is gut wrenching and I think the most frustrating part is that, while research is bringing in more innovative and effective ways of treating cancer, cancer diagnoses and the costs of treatment are going up.


Since I can't physically swim The Channel to raise awareness and funds every year,  I have taken it upon myself to research as often as possible and educate others on beating cancer from the prevention side. What does that look like? I spread awareness for legislation that is happening that would rid toxic chemicals from agriculture, water, cleaning products, food, and especially skincare.

I've become a consultant and educator with a Certified B Corporation to help others switch to safer skincare products for their whole family. We invest our own personal money into products that come from companies who put our health and the environment's best interests first. When we purchase from some of these companies, we are able to put our dollars to a vote and lobby for change in Washington. Our hope is that we can do our small part to change the demand for safer products so this will become the norm and not the exception. Wouldn't it be nice not having to read labels and actually TRUST what's in  the products we're ingesting and putting on our bodies?

If you're as tired as I am of companies putting our health at risk, I urge you to re-prioritize your spending and perhaps consider creating a demand for higher standards in food and personal care products. Here are some helpful tips to get started:

1. Before purchasing a skincare/personal care product, look up the product or search by ingredient at: http://www.ewg.org/skindeep/. They also have a fantastic app you can download onto your phone so you can search or scan the bar code while at the store! By doing so, you are voting with your dollars and creating a demand for higher standards.

2. Learn about B Certified Corporations and seek them out when doing business. Here's more info: Certified B Corps

3. Follow facebook/social media/blogs/websites that will teach you about how toxin exposure from food and personal care products affect your health. Spread the word by sharing reputable sources so others can learn, too! A couple that I love: www.ewg.org, http://www.beautycounter.com/know-everything/, and http://www.lindsaydahl.com/

4. Donate to a cause that advocates for change and puts your dollars to work! It's even better if something you already purchase on a regular basis puts some of that money to work for you!

5. Plug in: Find social media outlets that keep you informed on current legislation that impacts the environment, food, and cosmetics industry. Make your voice heard. Sometimes this looks like writing or calling your local or national representatives, contacting a business to complain, leaving a product review, etc.

I hope you'll join me in this fight. Like The Channel swim, it takes little steps over a long period of time to finally accomplish the actual feat. We're in an endurance race, but if we all do our part and do it together, I truly believe it can be done! It will be so worth it when we start to see cancer rates fall and our children won't have to worry about harmful chemicals in products that they're putting in and on their bodies.


No comments:

Post a Comment