Monday, August 1, 2011

The Gates

After traveling by plane for seven hours, navigating through Heathrow, taking a train to Victoria Station, and then taking a train to Canterbury East, to then take a double-decker bus (yes, we had a Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban moment) down to Dover Priory, I was so ready to see Dover and most of all, the Channel. As the bus wound its way down the hilly English countryside, it passed around a grove of trees and BAM. The road opened up to the edge of Dover, and the White Cliffs were just as bright as I had imagined them! There she was! The big, deep blue-green body of water that stretched on for miles. It seemlessy joined the sky on the horizon, which made it seem all the more big. If I squinted, I could barely make out France, but it was there! Then, a bit of nervousness hit me. I would be swimming that! Wow. I couldn't wait to get into the harbor for a swim!

After arriving at Dover Priory, we gathered up our luggage and began walking to the place we would be staying for the next two weeks. Once we got there, my poor boyfriend K realized his phone was missing! He had lost it on the bus. After calling the station and getting in contact with the bus driver, I used my phone despite the crazy-high roaming charges and called his phone, just to see if the person who had it would pick up. THEY DID! They were so nice and we arranged to get it from them later that night at back at the station. We were so in awe and thankful that while in a foreign country where we needed that phone to contact friends and family back home, we were fortunate that a lovely person found the phone and not someone who took it for themselves!

After settling in, we wandered down to the harbor to find where I would be training until the swim. As we made our way down, every where you looked was a bit of history. Old buildings, really old churches, and Dover Castle which was up high on the white cliffs of Dover. How cool is it to walk through town and see a HUGE castle on a cliff? I'm going to cherish this as long as I'm here! 

Once we got down to the beach, I put my toes in the water and was delighted that it still felt like 60 degree water was warm. Thank goodness I did so much cold water training and built up so much body fat! My boyfriend K did the same, but whirled around and ran up the beach, squeeling like a little girl. Hehehe......

Shaking hands (toes) with the Channel. I hope she likes me!

France is thatta way!



We then explored the area and in a little nook we found a lovely restaurant that had incredible food for very cheap! We both had a delicious roast beef meal with squash and vegetables, and a desert of a sweet pudding and apple crisp with custard. It. Was. Amazing! K had a tall glass of Pilsner in front of me, which wasn't very nice since he knows I can't drink alcohol until after the swim. Grrrrr......

We both headed to bed early because we were so exhausted! 

Today, we got up early and ate breakfast. K went out and searched for a cheap cell phone so we could keep in constant contact with my boat pilot, while I went back to bed. I had gotten less than 6 hours of sleep in the last 48 hours, and needed to rest up before my set of tides begins in less than a week. When I woke up, we ate a quick light lunch, and made our way down to the harbor to meet my boat captain, and for my first workout.

We met our boat captain, Andy King of the Louise Jane, and he showed us the boat that would be accompanying me on the channel. He was really nice and was very straightforward about everything and answered all of my questions, no matter how paranoid or dumb I thought they were! 

After looking at our boat and talking to Mr. King, I swam hard for an hour to work out the kinks of travel and to loosten up before a 3 hour swim I will be doing tomorrow. As I plunged in, I couldn't help but feel so excited! I'm in the Channel! We made it here! WOOHOO!

Swimming in the harbor is interesting because you are sharing it with other swimmers, P & O Ferries, and various other boat craft. When I made a lap across the harbor and looped back around, I had to weave in and out of sailboats-it was like running through an obstacle course except if you got hit, you'd be a lot worse off!

Swimming in the ocean is definitely different than fresh water. My pull-through in my stroke feels more efficient, because the salt water causes a bit more bouyancy. This lifts up your pelvis and allows for a better rotation in the water. When I began pulling through the water, it felt great! The one thing that will be hard to get used to is the salt water. I kept forgetting and letting a bit of water into my mouth, and once a wave sloshed me in the face and I gulped it. YUCK! Definitely cannot do that on the swim-more than a gulp could make you seriously ill! When I was done with my workout, I could already feel a bit of swelling in my tongue, and my lips felt tingly. 

After I dried off and got dressed, K and I explored the harbor area of Dover. It is such an old town and I loved looking at all of the old shop fronts and architecture. We even found an old Chapel that was home to St. Edmund between 1175 and 1240 AD. So cool! 

By then we were getting very hungry and decided what better way to explore Dover than to get a real serving of fish and chips! For ten pounds, we both got a HUGE portion of fried Cod and french fry-like pieces with vinegar and salt sprinkled on top, and wrapped in paper. It was WAY too much food and grease to handle and I could not finish mine, but it was so delicious, nonetheless!
After letting our food settle, we headed back and I finished unpacking. More to come soon.

God bless!







2 comments:

  1. We are rooting for you back here in Tipton! Godspeed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cheyenne, What day do you think you'll actually make the crossing. Skimmed through your blog and didn't see a date, though might have missed it. As I remember you "don't exactly know", is that right? Do you have an estimate of what day the swim will be?
    We were in Dover about 5 years ago, my Mom, sister and my niece, Erin, Stuart's daughter. It was a cool, slightly rainy day, we'd come down from London, I think on a bus, though I don't exactly remember. I remember it looking like a coastal area, though there were ships, etc. Will have to read more about it. Good luck in your final preparations. Kris

    ReplyDelete