Thursday, August 4, 2011

Lift Off!

Tonight at 7:30pm London time, we find out if we will be leaving Dover Harbor at 3:30am tomorrow morning to make my attempt to swim the English Channel. I am so excited, yet, cannot believe that after 2 years of training, the moment has finally arrived! So many emotions are running through me right now. Anxiety, excitement, a little bit of fear-all emotions are good because that is what makes this journey so incredible!

Many people a long this journey have asked me, "What if you do not make it?" Although many think this is a rather cynical question, it is a legitimate one. Many people attempt to swim the Channel, few actually make it. But please know this.

I've already succeeded!

That may sound strange to you, but when my toes touch the water and the horn of the pilot vessel blares for me to start, we have already been hugely successful. Here is why.

1. Together we have raised over $13,000 to start a cancer research fund to fight cancer-the main purpose of this entire journey! Cancer has greatly impacted my family and friends, and I feel so blessed to have been able to use my gifts in order to fight this daunting disease!

2. I have been able to meet the most incredible people! It is amazing how many people I've met who have been impacted in some way by cancer. Hearing their stories has been so inspiring and humbling. I will never forget them and will be thinking about them a lot as I make my crossing! I have also had the privilege to meet the most incedible doctors at The Holden Comprehensive Cancer Center, whose work is so inspiring! It is such a comfort knowing that the funds we have raised will be going to such an incredible research center where some oustanding cancer research is being done!

3. While working on this campaign, it has also been a huge privilege getting to work with staff at the University of Iowa Foundation. It has been so wonderful working with others in the field of development and sharing our passion for philanthropy in order to support those finding a cure for cancer.

4. This journey has also brought me closer to some awesome people in my life! I've been able to share this experience with my former high school swim coach O'Donnell, who really made me fall in love with swimming! Her strength and wisdom over the years has played a HUGE role in the person and athlete I am today! I have also been able to grow closer to my amazing brother, SSG Michael Boddicker. He has been there every step of the way, pushing me to my breaking point, in order to make me mentally tougher than I have ever been in my life! His incredible generosity is also what made this entire endeavor possible; he gifted the money to pay for the pilot vessel that accompanies me across the channel. I am still blown away by this gift!

5. It really is a joy and a privilege being able to do this! Because of the financial support of so many wonderful peeople, I was able to put aside two years of my life to prepare for this moment! Think of all of those who have overcome incredible adversity to do a physical challenge like this. Think of all of those who have swam 30 hours, but still were not able to touch the coast of France because their luck with the tides wasn't in their favor. Does that make them a failure? Absolutely not! The amount of work it takes to cross the Channel isn't even done on the day you actually swim the Channel. The amount of sweat, tears, financial strain, and sacrifice that goes into a Channel attempt is astounding, and if for some reason I do not make it because of bad luck in the weather or tides, or whatever, does not make me a failure. In fact, if I deam myself a failure if I do not make it, I would be discrediting those who sacrificed so much to be able to do this, and were not able because of their bad luck, as well. So if I do not make it, do not be sad! Rejoice in the fact that I made it here, to Dover, England! With your support, I was able to  put in all of the work to get me to where I am, and just to have earned the right to swim the Channel is a huge accomplishment in itself!


6. Finally, Crossing for a Cure has been able to raise so much awareness for cancer research. With the generosity of so many media outlets, we've been able to reach audiences all over the country! We have been so blessed to have been able to do this, and remind us all that cancer affects everyone in some way. With the incredible medical technology and researchers we have today, I am very hopeful that with our financial help, we can find a cure for this terrible disease soon!


Today, as I prepare for the swim, I am packing all of my gear, sending you this blog, writing the rest of the names to the Union Hawk Flag, and saying lots of prayers!



Here is a picture of all of the gear I will be taking with me. Keep in mind that I will be taking more than one bottle of water with me. I highly doubt two bottles would be enough!

 Before I sign off and wait for my boat pilot to confirm we leave at 3:30am London Time, I would like to leave you with a favorite Bible quote of mine-one that gets me through tough times and one that I will be taking with me in my mind as I am crossing the channel.

My brothers, count it pure joy when you are involved in every sort of trial. Realize that when your faith is tested this makes for endurance. Let endurance come to its perfection so that you may be fully mature and lacking in nothing. (James 1:2-4)

This swim is dedicated to my grandpa Noller, my loved ones, and to all of those whose lives have been affected by cancer. I will be praying for all of you while I swim. Please say a prayer for my safety and the safety of my boat crew.

God bless!

Chey

No comments:

Post a Comment